Bin Gardening

Bin Gardening

Friday, August 31, 2012

The August Garden in Pictures: Fruits and Vegetables

As my summer garden winds down for the season, I am re-reading the book Tips for the Lazy Gardener by Linda Tilgner. Though still tending to the garden, I have been a lazy blogger this month, waiting until the last day of August to post. I decided I would share pictures to summarize the past few weeks in the garden. This has been my favorite summer for gardening – God and Mother Nature have provided fresh fruits and vegetables to supplement every dinner for the past 3 months and my family and I are so thankful!    


My husband built this ripening shelf out of recycled closet shelves and wood. It has been a great counter-space saver in the kitchen and it also keeps fruit flies outside. It is very convenient to walk outside the kitchen door into our “produce pantry" while making dinner!

    Ripening shelf collage      


Being a musician, I thought this was an efficient way to measure vegetables. This one was almost 3 octaves long!

 IMG_4588a    


I would definitely grow Armenian yard-long cucumbers next year. My family loved the crunchy texture and mild taste, and I loved how fast-growing and prolific they were in the garden.

 Armenian cuke collage


I had an abundance of kohl rabi and radishes and decided to use them in egg rolls – they were delicious!


eggroll collage



Romaine lettuce grew well in our self-watering bins.

IMAG1083a


Simpson and iceberg lettuce with cukes, tomatoes, and radishes – all from the bins.

IMG_3949



Our oriental pear tree was productive this year – we decided to try canning the surplus.

IMG_4817a


Watching our step as we pick pears off the tree…

IMG_4830a


IMG_4872a

IMG_4880aIMG_4883a

IMG_4901a


So far, so good!!

IMG_4904a



IMG_3889aIMG_3894a


Radishes of many shapes and colors

IMG_4353



Asparagus Beans – wonderful in a stir-fry!

Asparagus bean collage



More from the garden…still waiting for the bigger watermelons to ripen.

IMG_4903a

IMG_4643a


It was a great summer in the garden...now onto some fall planting. We are waiting for potatoes, onions, gourds (decorative), carrots, and pumpkins to mature so we can plant some cold weather crops in those spaces. Hope you enjoyed the pictures from Part 1: Food; watch for upcoming posts in the next few weeks on flowers, birds, and bugs.


Enjoy September, and blessings to you!


~Karen









Tips for the Lazy Gardener

2 comments:

  1. In honor of your awesome photos and cool blog, I'm giving you the "Tell Me About Yourself" award. You can read the details about it here: http://www.gingerdoodles.com/2012/10/blog-awards-for.html.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos just amaze me. It definitely shows how committed you are in your garden. This harvest are the fruits of your hard work. Congratulations!

    Happy Gardening!

    Jeanny @ eGardenSheds

    ReplyDelete